Experimental Design is a Faction Event beginning 12:00 PM ET (16:00 UTC) Thursday, May 11, 2017 and ending 12:00 PM ET (16:00 UTC) Monday, May 15, 2017. Players can complete shuttle missions for the Maquis, and Section 31. These missions will drop Victory Points, which unlock Threshold Rewards.
Experimental Design is event 2 of 4 of the Mega-Event Process of Assimilation
Featured crew give the largest bonuses to faction missions.
All characters below give a lesser bonus to faction missions.
There are 3 sets of rewards given in the event.
- Solo Ranked Rewards which are given at the end of the event based on your rank in the overall event. These are the top-tier prizes.
- Squadron (Ranked) Rewards which are given at the end of the event based on your squadron's rank in the overall event.
- Solo Threshold Rewards which are acquired at each level of displayed Victory Points .
Section 31 believes the Borg invasion is due to a unique piece of technology they’ve been replicating in secret - transphasic torpedos. The Borg wish to assimilate this invention, but Section 31 claims that if they can complete their research, it may be Starfleet’s best hope of resisting the Borg. Convinced that the Borg will pursue this technology as long as it exists and horrified by the thought of how many people they will assimilate in the process, the Maquis are demanding that it be destroyed. 
- Dr. Tolian Soran: "I always feared this day would come, Captain. Borg in the Alpha Quadrant once more. That is why Section 31 and I have spent the past year developing a contingency plan: transphasic torpedos."
- Dr. Tolian Soran: "We only have one prototype to replicate, but the intelligence from Starfleet's Unimatrix Zero allies has sped up our progress. These weapons could penetrate almost any known shield–they could turn the tide against the Borg!"
- Assimilated Tuvok: "On the contrary, they may be responsible for your current predicament. You have been developing a unique piece of technology that is also a threat to Borg–it is reasonable to assume that this drew them here. We would not have shared our knowledge with you if we had known."
- Assimilated Tuvok: "The Maquis are blaming the Federation for this careless development. They have demanded the weapons' destruction, and in this instance, I must agree with them. The only way to stop the Borg from claiming more lives in their pursuit is to remove the object they seek."
- Dr. Tolian Soran: "Ah, Captain. I must thank you for your assistance. These prototypes have their limitations, but our tests promise that once they're complete, they'll do more damage to the Borg than anything else your Starfleet has to offer. How could anyone throw away that advantage?"
- Dr. Tolian Soran: "I know some doubters have tried to blame me for the Borg's appearance, but that is a fear born of small minds. I'm glad you paid them no heed. They simply do not understand the importance of what we are trying accomplish [sic]"
- Dr. Tolian Soran: "You see, the Borg don't feel regret, or guilt, or pain as we do. But I am a patient man. I will make them regret what they've taken from me. The immeasurable suffering they've caused this galaxy. I will teach them that lesson if it take the rest of my life."